Nearly 20 people have been treated for smoke inhalation and several tourists trapped in a lift following a Majorca hotel fire.
The blaze broke out in the elevator machine room this morning at the all-inclusive Bellevue Bonita and Club Resort in Puerto de Alcudia, described by Jet2holidays as a ‘lively and large complex perfect for a family holiday.’
Initial reports say several tourists were trapped in lifts at the hotel, although they are now understood to have been freed.
The alarm was sounded just after 9am today at the four-star complex in the north-east of Majorca.
Local firefighters said in an initial response to the emergency: ‘A fire has broken out in the lift machine room.
‘There are people trapped in the elevators and the establishment is being evacuated.
‘Firefighters from Inca, Alcudia and Arta have been mobilised.’

Nearly 20 people have been treated for smoke inhalation and several tourists trapped in a lift following a Majorca hotel fire. Pictured: Emergency services at Hotel Bellevue

Initial reports say several tourists were trapped in lifts at the hotel, although they are now understood to have been freed. Here Hotel Bellevue is pictured
Two of the 18 people said to have suffered minor smoke inhalation have been described as two girls aged 13 and eight taken to the island’s Muro General Hospital.
Most are believed to be holidaymakers although at least two hotel workers were also assisted by emergency medical responders.
Although firefighters said the hotel was being evacuated, some tourists are understood to have been told to stay in their rooms but go onto their balconies to make sure they didn’t breathe in any smoke.
Local police and Civil Guard officers were also mobilised as part of the emergency response.
It comes after earlier this month a dramatic forest fire near a beach resort in southern Spain forced the evacuation of tourists and locals.
Multiple aircraft were roped in to tackle the inferno, which took hold in Cadiz in Andalusia on August 5.
Specifically, the flames spread in the hills of Torre de la Peña, behind the hugely popular resort of Tarifa.
According to the Andalucia firefighter service INFOCA, gusts of 20-25km/hr were favouring the fire’s spread.
All bars, restaurants , and hotels were evacuated between La Peña and Casas de Porros, reported local newspaper Europa Sur.
According to the local police, the fire started in a motorhome at the Torre la Peña campsite, which also had to be evacuated.
The flames then blew westward, away from the campsite, and spread rapidly through a hilly and grassland area where homes and tourist establishments are scattered – including the Wawa Hotel, which is reported to have been affected by the fire.
This article was originally published by a www.dailymail.co.uk . Read the Original article here. .